Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Yak & Yeti Local Foods Cafe: Restaurant Review

Name: Yak & Yeti Local Foods Cafe
Location: Animal Kingdom, in the Asia section
Cuisine: Asian
Type: Counter Service
Good For Those Who: Are curious about the Yak & Yeti sit-down restaurant but don't want to spend that much money; fans of standard "Asian" style fast food.
Price Range: According to Disney's pricing system, this is a $, which means everything is $14 and under. Main dishes here run around $10 per person.
Times: Serves lunch & Dinner


Reservations: This is quickservice, so none are needed. To avoid lunch crowds, I suggest going before noon or after 2 pm.
My recommendation: The honey chicken, which really tastes like honey, instead of generic sticky sweet sauce used in mall food court Asian joints.
Healthier Option: I'd go for the Mandarin salad, which my mom has tried and really liked. Very light and refreshing on a hot day. I believe it is vegetarian, too.

A cheaper, counter service offshoot of the Yak & Yeti sit-down restaurant next door, the Local Foods Cafe offers the same style of food at a cheaper price but somewhat lower quality (but hey, what do you expect?)

I think the food here is technically supposed to be Tibetan-inspired (much of the Asia area of this park is based around that country), but I wouldn't exactly call it authentic. It is definitely Americanized, but still tasty.

For quick service at Animal Kingdom, which has somewhat limited food options, this is usually our first pick. The food is consistent and offers something a little different, for those of us who don't want to exist exclusively on hamburgers and chicken fingers while at WDW. And the nice shady outdoor sitting area is quite lovely, and almost sort of makes you feel like you are in some bustling little town near the Himalayas. Well, except for the sunburnt midwestern parents screaming at their kids in giant strollers, but, you know.

A word of warning: The seating area does tend to have some rather bold ducks. I suggest not leaving your food unattended.

xoxo, Lily

*Note: Food prices and menu options are subject to change at any time, so I can't guarantee my information will always be accurate.

**Also, the "healthier options" I give are simply based on my knowledge of healthy eating and nutrition. I am not a doctor! For specific information regarding calories and such, I suggest contacting the individual restaurants via the Disney World website.

No comments:

Post a Comment